We know that the air in our home is polluted but did you know that having live plants in our houses not only looks good but also cleans the Air? According to a study by NASA they found that having plants in side our homes will reduce the harmful particles that we breathe, they are even planing on sending some plants in to space as biological life support at the future space stations. So if NASA is planing to send them in to space perhaps we should also look in to having some at home. But what plants work the best? According to the study different plants served a different purpose, while plants like gerbera daisy and chrysanthemums were rated superior in removing benzene, other plants played a significant role in removing other harmful agents from the air. Here are the top 10 plants that they found to be the most efficient at removing Formaldehyde, Benzene, and Carbon Monoxide from the air.
- Bamboo Palm -Chamaedorea Seifritzii
- Chineese Evergreen - Aglaonema Modestum
- English Ivy Hedera Helix
- Gerbera Daisy Gerbera Jamesonii
- Janet Craig - Dracaena "Janet Craig"
- Marginata - Dracaena Marginata
- Mass cane/Corn Plant - Dracaena Massangeana
- Mother-in-Law’s Tongue Sansevieria Laurentii
- Pot Mum - Chrysantheium morifolium
- Peace Lily - Spathiphyllum
- Warneckii -Dracaena "Warneckii"
I know that we are all concern about the air we breathe but we might be surprised how easy it is to improve our air quality, we don't need to go purchase expensive cleaning systems for our homes, nature provides us with great, beautiful ways to improve our air we just need to utilize it.
Good luck and I hope we can all be a little HEALTHIER.
For more info read this article.